John acts for a wide variety of local and international businesses in arbitration proceedings and court proceedings, providing pragmatic commercial and strategic legal advice on contentious issues and has acted as counsel in arbitration proceedings administered by the Dubai International Arbitration Centre (DIAC); the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC); the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA); and the DIFC-LCIA Arbitration Centre (DIFC-LCIA).
John has practiced in the Middle East since 2006 at which time John was based in Sana’a, Yemen, representing the Government of Yemen in what is recognised as one of the major arbitration successes of recent years. Following the successful outcome of that arbitration, John relocated to Clyde & Co’s Dubai office in 2008 and has practised out of Dubai since then.
- Acting on behalf of the Government of Yemen in a USD multi-billion energy arbitration administered by the ICC
- Acting on behalf of a transport and logistics provider in arbitration proceedings administered by the DIAC arising out of a fuel transportation agreement relating to claims in excess of USD 65 million
- Acting on behalf of a Saudi investment company in a USD multi-million dispute arising out of a shareholders agreement and associated rights comprising three separate arbitrations in multiple jurisdictions administered pursuant to the UNCITRAL and LCIA Rules
- Acting on behalf of a multi-national client in arbitration proceedings administered by the DIAC relating to the recovery of funds under a performance guarantee
- Acting on behalf of a principle in arbitration proceedings administered by the ICC in relation to non-performance of an agency agreement for the supply of products in the Middle East
- Acting on behalf of a developer in arbitration proceedings arising out of the termination of a multi-million dollar sale and purchase agreement relating to a high-profile mixed-use residential development administered by the DIFC-LCIA
- Acting on behalf of a Big Four audit firm in Dubai court proceedings relating to a USD 80 million claim arising out of the insolvency of a group of companies across the Middle East
- Successfully negotiating the global settlement of interrelated disputes arising out of (i) the termination of the business of a joint venture company subject to arbitration administered by the DIAC; and (ii) a claim for commission payments under a commercial agreement in proceedings before the Special Tribunal Related to Dubai World
For more information, please see the source website