Iain is an English law qualified partner in the Project Development & Finance practice at Sherman & Sterling.
Iain is based in the firm’s London office and is the Europe and Middle East Project Development & Finance Practice Group Leader and heads the firm’s Africa Strategy Group.
Iain’s practice focuses on advising governments, sponsors and lending groups (including commercial banks, export credit agencies, multilateral agencies and development finance agencies) on the development and financing of energy and infrastructure projects throughout the Middle East and Africa.
Iain has previously been based in Abu Dhabi and Singapore.
The Editor of Matterhorn Law has worked with Iain for several years on a major refinery project and, as a consequence, has the greatest respect for his talent and experience. In addition, Iain is fun to work with.
HIGHLIGHTS OF HIS EXPERIENCE INCLUDE:
- Albertine Graben Refinery Project: advising Yaatra Africa as the lead developer on the development and financing $3 billion greenfield refinery project with a capacity of 60,000 bpd in Hoima District, Republic of Uganda.
- Guinea Aluminum Project: advising Guinea Aluminum Company (a subsidiary of the UAE’s Emirate’s Global Aluminum) on the development and financing of a $1.5 billion integrated bauxite mine, railway and port terminal project in Guinea.
- Equatorial Guinea Liquefaction Project: advising Golar LNG Limited on the development of the Fortuna LNG project, a floating liquefaction project to be developed by Golar with its partners Ophir Energy and GEPetrol (the national oil company of Equatorial Guinea).
- Angola LNG: advising Sonagas on its participation with BP, Total, Eni and Chevron to develop the Angola LNG project.
- Angola Upstream: advising on the development and financing of a proposed subsea optical fiber cable project offshore Angola
- Angola drill rig financings: advising on the financing of two drill rig joint ventures with Transocean:
- the $700 million Discoverer Luanda (an enhanced enterprise class drill ship) subcontracted to BP for drilling operations offshore Angola
- the $300 million Transocean Honor drilling rig subcontracted to Chevron for drilling operations offshore Angola
- Angola oil services joint venture: advising on a joint venture with Maersk to provide deep-water oil services offshore Angola.
- Ghanaian Mooring Facility: advising Barclays Bank, FMO and the Emerging Africa Infrastructure Fund in respect of the $35 million financing of a single point mooring facility being developed by Trafigura to service an oil refinery in Terra, Ghana
- West African Gas Pipeline: advising the World Bank on its political risk guarantees for the West African Gas Pipeline Project from Nigeria to Ghana.
- Nuclear Power Plants Authority (NPPA) of Egypt: advising NPPA on the development and financing of the El Dabaa nuclear power plant by Rosatom consisting of four reactor units, with a total capacity of 4800 MW. This project is the first ever nuclear power project in Egypt and represents the largest transaction in the history of the nuclear industry
- Sadara Integrated Chemicals Project: advising the Dow Chemical Company on all aspects of its $20 billion joint venture with Saudi Aramco to develop and finance the Sadara Integrated Chemicals Project in Jubail Industrial City, Saudi Arabia. The scope of work included the negotiation of all project agreements including in relation to marketing and offtake, feedstock, technology licensing, construction, utilities and industrial gas supply.
- Sadara Integrated Chemicals Project: advising on the development of a butanol project as a joint venture between Sadara, Tasnee and Saudi Kayan and a hydrogen peroxide project as a joint venture between Sadara and Solvay.
- BAPCO Modernisation Project: advising Bahrain Petroleum Company B.S.C. (BAPCO) on the development and financing of its $6 billion refinery upgrade and modernisation program in Bahrain.
- RAPID Project: advising Petronas on the development and financing of its $28 billion joint venture with Saudi Aramco to develop and finance the “RAPID” refinery and petrochemical integrated development project in Malaysia.
- Dow and PIC Joint Venture: advising the Dow Chemical Company on its proposed transfer of substantially all of its polyethylene business to a joint venture with the Petrochemicals Industries Company of Kuwait.
- Independent Power Projects: advising both sponsors and lenders on the development and financing of conventional, waste to energy and renewable power projects in Saudi Arabia, UAE, Oman, Kuwait, Egypt, Serbia, Pakistan and Jordan.